Language Teaching Methods at Parola School
A Methodology That Follows The Didactic Guidelines of The EC
Parola school follows the guidelines set down by the Council of Europe. Therefore, our Italian language institute uses two types of teaching methods in its Italian courses in Florence.
The Council of the European Union has set some standards for language course training and Parola school follows these guidelines:
- A direct method that immerses the student in the Italian language immediately
- A functional-notional method in which grammar instruction is given through the common daily situations
These language didactics allow the student to learn Italian grammar properly and actively. Then, a language learner, after school, can apply it to a conversation and the daily life in Italy.
Two Learning Steps in The Italian Courses at The School Parola
The Italian language courses at the school Parola are divided into two learning phases, both covered during the morning lessons of Italian.
These two learning steps are divided equally into each course to provide students with grammar rules and spoken Italian:
- The first part of a course is about learning Italian grammar with our Parola grammar books: one book is for grammar and the other one is to practice it with exercises
- The second part of an Italian language course is to achieve a good fluency of Italian through conversation practice. We use contemporary Italian topics, language activities such as stories, texts readings, newspapers, and games. We watch and analyze DVD movies or we listen, understand and discuss Italian music lyrics as well
Teaching Materials For The Italian Language Courses at Parola
Our teachers use extra didactic materials to enliven the Italian language lessons. These language tools are based according to all the studies of language training methodology that the school Parola provides to teachers:
- Parola’s Books (Grammar and exercises)
- Social games
- Audio and visual DVDs
- Laptop and use of Internet
- IPads and iPod for music
- Music CDs and audio MP3
- Movies with subtitles
All these tools are used to supplement the traditional Italian lessons in a classroom.
Structure of Parola’s Italian Language Courses in Florence
An Italian class size at the school Parola ranges from a minimum of 4 to a maximum of 12 with an average of 6 students. Naturally, the students of Italian are carefully screened as to their Italian language levels with a test at the beginning of their course.
We have diversified types of lessons: there are individual courses, combined courses (group+individual) group courses.
Small Classes For Individual Attention to The Student
Everybody gets individual attention. This allows each student to have the maximum amount of contact with the language during the classes and individual attention to resolve doubts that they may encounter with the Italian grammar.
On the first day of class, the student who is not an absolute beginner will take a short and light assessment test to be placed in the proper language level.
Qualified Italian Language Teachers at Parola
Our Italian teachers are all native speakers with a university degree. Professional competence, openness, enthusiasm, and patience are our teachers’ key traits. This guarantees that the time spent in class will be both profitable and fun. All teachers are native Italian speakers and hold an advanced degree in humanities from an Italian university.