Language Teaching Methods at Parola School
Methodology That Follows The EU Educational Guidelines
Our institute uses these standards for language course training during its Italian courses in Florence. For this reasona, our methodology is mainly divided into 2 phases:
- A direct method that immerses the student in the Italian language through common daily situations
- A functional-notional method in which grammar instruction is central
This language didactics allows the student to learn Italian grammar properly and then proactively speak the language.
Two Learning Steps in The Italian Courses at The School Parola
The Italian language courses at Parola School are divided into two learning phases, both covered during the morning lessons of Italian. These two learning steps are divided equally into each course to provide students with grammar rules and spoken Italian:
- The first part of a course is about learning Italian grammar with our Parola grammar books: one book is for grammar and the other one is to practice it with exercises
- The second part of an Italian language course is to achieve a good fluency of Italian through conversation practice. To do so we utilize contemporary Italian topics, language activities such as stories, reading texts, newspapers, and games. We watch and analyze movies as well as listen, understand and discuss Italian music lyrics
Teaching Materials For The Italian Language Courses at Parola
Our teachers use extra didactic materials to enliven the Italian language lessons. These language tools are based on the studies of language training methodology that Parola provides to teachers. Materials include:
- Parola’s Books (Grammar and exercises)
- Social games
- Audio and visual DVDs
- Laptop and use of Internet
- IPads and iPods for music
- Music CDs and audio MP3
- Movies with subtitles
All these tools are used to supplement the traditional Italian lessons in a classroom.
Structure of Parola’s Italian Language Courses in Florence
An Italian class size at Parola school ranges from a minimum of 4 to a maximum of 12 with an average of 6 – 7 students.
Students are carefully screened as to their Italian language levels with a test at the beginning of their course.
We have diversified types of lessons: there are individual courses, combined courses (group+individual) and group courses.
Our school offers dedicated courses as well, such as the CILS certification preparation course (Our language school is officially accredited by the University of Siena), small class programs or Au Pair courses in Florence.
Small Classes For Individual Attention to The Student
Everybody gets individual attention. This allows each student to have the maximum amount of contact with the Italian language during the classes and individual attention to resolve doubts that they may encounter with the Italian grammar.
As mentioned above, the average number of students in a classroom is 6 – 7 students, and this allows teachers to follow students’ progress in a profitable way.
On the first day of class, students who are not an absolute beginner will take a short and light assessment test to be placed in the proper language level.
Qualified Italian Language Teachers at Parola
All our teachers are native Italian speakers and hold an advanced degree from an Italian university. Professional competence, openness, enthusiasm, and patience are our language teachers’ key traits. This guarantees that the time spent in class will be both profitable and fun.